SPLiCE International Conference 2023
Our theme is 'Doing Business in Brazil and LATAM'. Open to SPLiCE Members & Global Affiliates, invited licensing industry stakeholders including Licensors, Government Officials, Manufacturers & Licensees.
Time & Location
Apr 26, 2023, 10:30 AM EDT – Apr 27, 2023, 3:00 PM EDT
U.S. Postal Service HQ, Washington, DC, 475 L'Enfant Plaza SW, Washington, DC 20260, USA
About the Event
Welcome to SPLiCE International Conference 2023! Doing Business in LatAm
April 26 | Hybrid Event ONSITE @ U.S. Postal Service HQ, Washington, DC & VIRTUALY @ Hopin
April 27 | ONSITE ONLY @ U.S. Postal Service HQ, Washington, DC
- Join us in Washington, DC and virtually as we network and share international brand licensing best practices.
- Our focus is to discuss benchmarking and trends on global topics related to licensing and brand enhancement.
- Open to SPLiCE Members & Global Affiliates, along with invited licensing industry stakeholders including Licensors, Brand Owners, Government Officials, Retailers, Manufacturers, and Licensees.
- Hotel offering: Moxy Washington, DC Downtown
Doing Business in LATAM Presentations Address
Global Trends to Raise the Scope of the Licensing Industry
- Market trends, insights, and international case studies will showcase business learnings.
- Identify resources, tools, and training by region and product categories, regulatory compliance.
- Best practices to source & onboard licensees, product development, and program management due diligence.
- Expose risks for licensing such as tariffs, IP issues, counterfeit goods, and international.
Wednesday, April 26 | Onsite & Virtual
10:30 am SPLiCE Welcome! World IP Day Women in IP: Accelerating Innovation & Creativity
United States Postal Service and United States Patent & Trademark Office!
- Amity Kirby, United States Postal Service, and Kimberly Kociencki, SPLiCE
- Elizabeth Dougherty, Director, and Tomeka Oubichon, Officer | USPTO Eastern Regional Outreach
11:00 am Protecting Your Brand Across Borders Case Study
Practical best practices to protect the brand and minimize counterfeiting risks in the marketplace.
- Mike Dunn, President & Chief Brand Officer, Octane5
- Leticia Lopez Garcia, Senior Business Development and Brand Licensing Manager, Honeywell International
11:30 am Coca-Cola Licensing: Brazil Case Study
Our presenters will discuss their business model, how it started, and evolved. Collaborative highlights include how The Coca-Cola Company built marketing Integration with local beverage operations leading to interesting collabs.
- Brad Fields, Sr. Licensing Manager / Licensing Retail & Attractions, The Coca-Cola Company
- David Diesendruck, Owner & CEO, Redibra
12:00 am Better Intelligence – Empowering BI tools reveal trends in your licensing program
- Learn how Business Intelligence tools can span multiple applications.
- How to utilize drill down capabilities to embolden information.
- Friendly personalized dashboards.
- See some examples of MS Power BI on licensing data.
Guest Presenter: Marty Malysz, President, Dependable Solutions, Inc.
12:30 pm Lunch Break
2:00 pm Corporate Brand Licensing in Brazil: Why Blend In When You Can Samba to Stand Out?
Synopsis: This fast-paced session will give you the overview and direction to developing your licensing business in Brazil and outline the opportunities and challenges in the region. Important topics covered will include economic, cultural, legal, retail, and regulatory with a couple of real-world case studies thrown in!
- Ximena Duque, Managing Director, Latin America, LMCA
- Isabella Rafael, Strategy & Business Development, Latin America, LMCA
2:30 pm Entering Central and South America with Promotional Products
Promotional Products can offer penetration for branded consumer goods to explore the market appetite. We will focus on case studies in Central and South American countries.
- Scott Stern, President, Norscot
3:00 pm COMPAQ Case of Study About the Benefits of Using Brand Licensing in Brazil
Licensing is a synergistic business and especially for the COMPAQ brand in Brazil. We will explore how the licensor and licensee relationship can have long-term benefits. Through open communications, together they can consistently grow the brand in new categories while raising awareness and impressions among consumers.
- Jose Barrios, Business Development, HP Inc. | SPLiCE Chairman
- Camilo Stefanelli, Head of the COMPAQ Brazil Business, Positivo
3:30 pm Navigating the Federal Government Resources to Promote Business and Licensing
- Eric Johnson, Global Director of Franchise Programs, U.S. Department of Commerce
- Sophie Zinser, International Labor Affairs Bureau, U.S. Department of Labor
- David Kellis, Regional Intellectual Property Attaché for Mercosur, French Guiana, Guyana, and Suriname | U.S. Patent and Trademark Office | U.S. Commercial Service, U.S. Consulate General | Rio de Janeiro
5:00 pm Virtual ADJOURN & Onsite Business Networking Reception
Plus an outstanding Business Dinner Networking Reception!
Thursday, April 27 | Onsite only
9:00 am Deep-Dive Best Practices & Benchmarking Conversations
New Regulations Affecting IP in Brazil
David Kellis, Regional Intellectual Property Attaché for Mercosur, French Guiana, Guyana, and Suriname | U.S. Patent and Trademark Office | U.S. Commercial Service, U.S. Consulate General | Rio de Janeiro
USPTO China IPR Toolkit
How the USPTO China IP Attaché and China Team can assist US businesses. We will learn of the new updates to the China IPR Toolkit and how that affects doing business in China.
Conrad Wong, Attorney-Advisor, China Team, Office of Policy and International Affairs; Intellectual Property Officer for Guangzhou, China, United States Patent and Trademark Office
How to Engage Global Partners for Licensing
Eric Johnson, Global Director of Franchise Programs, U.S. Department of Commerce
Licensed IP Strategies for Amazon & Walmart.com, Combating Counterfeit
Ping Hao, CEO and Co-Founder, and Burke White, Co-Founder and President, Brand3P
NFT’s: What’s New
Amity Kirby, Head of Licensing, United States Postal Service
PLUS an open share of best practices
- Retail Environment 2023 & Beyond
- Help Us Help You: Open dialog of pressing issues affecting business
1:30 pm Teambuilding with a walking tour of the National Archives OR National Mall OR International Spy Museum!
Dinner after team building for those available!
Society of Product Licensors Committed to Excellence (SPLiCE), founded on April 26, 2004, maintains a vision to continuously improve brand licensing. We are a licensors community who share best practices to protect, promote, and enhance brand integrity through licensing.
On April 26 & 27, SPLiCE will celebrate global licensing and World IP Day! The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations. SPLiCE has supported WIPO initiatives since 2004. WIPO is the global forum for intellectual property policy, services, information and cooperation. About World IP Day In 2000, WIPO's member states designated April 26 – the day on which the WIPO Convention came into force in 1970 – as World Intellectual Property Day with the aim of increasing general understanding of intellectual property (IP).
If you are not SPLiCE Member please request attendance. Contact Collaborate@SPLiCElicensing.com.
Qualified attendees will receive a response within 24 hours. Acceptance, based upon current by‐laws and SPLiCE Global Affiliate Program requirements, is at the discretion of SPLiCE management.
Virtual Hopin SPLiCE Member
I will attend virtually signing into Hopin for the event.$0.00
VIP Affiliate Virtual
Global Affiliation Program partners & Guest Presenters who will attend VIRTUAL event in Hopin.$0.00